On September 7th, the CCgroup AR team joined IIAR’s latest webinar on Gartner methodologies with by David Black (LinkedIn), MVP Methodologies & Content Engagement at Gartner and moderated by Ludovic Leforestier (@lludovic, LinkedIn), from the IIAR Board.
David spoke about the firm’s research methodology behind reports such as Magic Quadrants and Critical Capabilities.
The AR community has always been tuned in to Gartner’s research calendars, with “Every season is Magic Quadrant season” being the mantra shared by many. As such, many AR professionals were keen to learn more from David.
Whilst emphasising Gartner’s move towards more openness, he was happy to answer more in-depth questions which have unsurprisingly focused on the Magic Quadrant and Gartner’s perception of itself amongst other firms.David also offered valuable insight on Gartner’s research validation process. Our main takeaways were:
- The Gartner Methodologies team now covers IT procurement.
- Vendors included in a Gartner MQ are at the pinnacle of their market and inclusion criteria is now heavily weighted how vendors market themselves, so the more SEO the better!
- Critical Capabilities reports offer a deep dive into a particular vertical market or technology.
- Trends for Magic Quadrants include more Peer Insights relevant for each Magic Quadrant report (currently stands at over 45,000 reviews).
- The number of vendors included in the Magic Quadrants is determined by analysts – for BI it has now gone up to 37.
- Gartner’s remit continues to expand due to constant M&A and organic growth.
- Gartner will ask for specific customer references for each type of report, as criteria will vary. E.g. the customer references shared for a Magic Quadrant will not extend to vendor-specific or Vendor Profiles reports.
- NB: Gartner’s ‘magic’ benchmark for customer references for Magic Quadrants is between 5-7. Getting requests for additional references? Query why with the analyst team.
- Gartner encourages users to raise any questions or voice concerns on the research process for different reports directly with them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I was pleasantly surprised by the progress made by Gartner to increase its clearness and transparency. The firm has evolved into a more approachable and open organisation which aims to help AR professionals throughout the Magic Quadrant season – and beyond.
Want to hear more?
The slides and recordings are available on Huddle for IIAR Members > 1709_Gartner_methodologies
Other posts on Gartner
- IIAR> Forum: Have your say on Gartner’s Initiatives for AR pros 12/06/20
- IIAR> Webinar: Gartner’s Initiatives for Analyst Relations Professionals 3/06/20
- [GUEST POST] Gartner Announces pilot to handle mergers & acquisitions updates for Magic Quadrants 26/02/20
- A turn of the tides? The IIAR> Analyst and Firm Of The Year 2019 27/11/19
- Gartner Symposium / ITxpo 2019: key takeaways for AR professionals 19/11/19
- IIAR AR Café at Gartner Symposium in Barcelona 2019 29/10/19
- IIAR> Discussion Group: working with Gartner 16/10/19
- The IIAR Tragic Quadrant 2018 11/10/19
- IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2018: The Awards Unwrapped. 4/12/18
- Gartner Symposium / ITxpo 2018: key takeaways for AR professionals 16/11/18
- IIAR Discussion Group: negotiating with Gartner 12/11/18
- Join us for the IIAR Café at the Gartner Symposium in Barcelona 3/11/18
- We’ll Miss You Claire 11/09/18
- Peter Sondergaard leaves Gartner 24/08/18
- [GUEST POST] What I Learned from 5 Years at Gartner 23/07/18
- [GUEST POST] Does Israel have more cool vendors than China? 5/06/18
- Trio of analyst departures at Gartner underlines why backup strategy is so important 4/06/18
- Around Fabio Di Capua from Gartner in 10 questions 23/03/18
- Wrap-up: IIAR Germany 2018 kick-off 12/02/18
- Around Andy Butler / ex. Gartner in 10 questions…. 9/02/18
- IIAR Discussion Group: negotiating with Gartner – is it the new seventies IBM? 6/02/18
- Who is the IIAR Analyst of the Year 2017? 1/12/17
- [GUEST POST] IIAR Webinar: ‘Tis the season for Gartner Methodologies 15/09/17
- IIAR Webinar: Gartner Research Methodologies including the Magic Quadrant 30/05/17
- BREAKING: Gartner gobbles brand benchmarking agency L2 6/03/17
- The IIAR Tragic Quadrant for 2017 24/02/17
- 2017, a tectonic year for influencer relations? A world post Gartner + CEB and IDC sold 20/01/17
- Winners announced: IIAR Analyst of the Year 2016 6/12/16
- IIAR Breakfast/Cafe meet at the Gartner Symposium in Barcelona 1/11/16
- Constellation and the curse of the (not so) magic quadrant 14/10/16
- IIAR Discussion Group: Negotiating with Gartner 11/10/16
- [GUEST POST] Analyst Relations Best Practices: Seven Tips to Make Your Company a Star at Industry Analyst Events 5/08/16
- Gartner acquires SCM World, what does it mean for AR Professionals? 2/07/16
- Around Annette Zimmermann in 10 questions 17/06/16
- Around Anthony Mullen from Gartner in 10 questions 27/04/16
- Do you need to pay Gartner to be in the Magic Quadrant? 11/03/16
- Who’s really shaping the digital future? 26/02/16
- Around Errol Rasit from Gartner in 10 Questions 10/02/16
- Around Julie Short from Gartner in 10 questions 7/12/15
- Winners announced: IIAR Analyst of the Year 2015 1/12/15
- IIAR Café @ Gartner Symposium Barcelona 9/11/15
- Will research crowdsourcing finally move analyst firms to an experience business model? 15/07/15
- The IIAR “Tragic Quadrant” 8/06/15
- The IIAR Analyst of the Year 2014 19/12/14
- The IIAR Analyst Firm of the Year 2014 18/12/14
- IIAR Discussion – Negotiating with Gartner – 22nd Jan 15 3/12/14
- IIAR AR Café – Gartner Symposium, Barcelona – 12 Nov 2014 11/11/14
- [GUEST POST] Analysts’ Dirty Little Secrets 24/08/14
- Wrap-up: Netscout vs. Gartner re. Magic Quadrant positioning 15/08/14
- [GUEST POST] Gartner Updates: Notes from the AR regional briefing in the UK 12/08/14
Other posts on the Magic Quadrant
- [GUEST POST] Gartner Announces pilot to handle mergers & acquisitions updates for Magic Quadrants
- [GUEST POST] IIAR Webinar: ‘Tis the season for Gartner Methodologies
- IIAR Webinar: Gartner Research Methodologies including the Magic Quadrant
- The IIAR Tragic Quadrant for 2017
- Constellation and the curse of the (not so) magic quadrant
- Do you need to pay Gartner to be in the Magic Quadrant?
- Who’s really shaping the digital future?
- The IIAR “Tragic Quadrant”
- [GUEST POST] Analysts’ Dirty Little Secrets
- Wrap-up: Netscout vs. Gartner re. Magic Quadrant positioning
- [GUEST POST] #Visionaries, #Disruptors and Complete Lunatics
- Is there Really Magic in the MQ?
- IIAR Webinar – Gartner Magic Quadrant Enhancements 2013
- Examining The New Gartner Interactive Magic Quadrant
- [Guest Post] Why IT Vendors Should Take Industry Analysts (More) Seriously
- [GUEST POST] Big Dogs don’t yap: the secret ingredient for MQ success
- [GUEST POST] Timing is everything
- Gartner publishes MQ FAQ
- Gartner details the MQ process
- Downfall: Gartner MQ and learnings
- WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Gideon Gartner on the IIAR Blog!
- Is shooting on the referee productive?
- IIAR publishes Best Practice Paper on Managing the Gartner MQ
- MQs, accreditation and a debate on IT services – all in the same evening
- Gartner engages in debates on their blog