London, Wednesday 27th November 2019. At the IIAR> we believe in taking a stance and recognising greatness when we see it -an approach we find more impactful than sprinkling awards to dozens of “winners”.
Today, at the IIAR> London Christmas Party kindly sponsored by HCL, we celebrated the top industry analysts and firms of the year. The IIAR> surveyed analyst relations professionals globally and from diverse industries, predictably casting a wide net on coverage areas. The evaluation used the IIAR SOSM methodology, to reflect the best practice promoted within the IIAR> looking at not only perceived sales impact, but also strategic insights, resonance in the media and ease of doing business with.
This year, analyst relations (AR) professionals have voted and provided clear insights both on the value they see from analysts, as well as how they perceive industry analyst firms’ value to them as clients. There were some interesting shifts in the 2019 results compared to prior years…read on to learn more!
Without further ado, the Analyst Relations community has spoken and the winners are….
IIAR> New Analyst of the Year 2019
IIAR members were again asked to identify fresh talent within the analyst community. We asked you to call out your IIAR ‘New Analyst of the Year’ nominations and we are delighted to announce:
IIAR> New Analyst of the Year 2019:
Eric Schmitt / Gartner (LinkedIn), covering AdTech.
AR pros commented that Eric “got up and running really quickly and always strives to deliver best value.”
The runner ups are Mark Harris / Gartner (LinkedIn) covering security, and Erica Spinoni / IDC (LinkedIn, @SpinoniErica) covering AI, Scott Wilkinson / Cignal AI (LinkedIn, @ScottWilkinsonQ) covering Optical transport and networking, Jason Cerrato / Gartner (LinkedIn, @JasonACerrato) covering HCM, Knud Lueth / IoT Analytics covering, you’ve guessed it, IoT.
The IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2019
The overall winner of the IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2019 is Frances Karamouzis, Chief of Research and Distinguished VP Analyst / Gartner (LinkedIn, @Fran_Gartner), covering sourcing strategies for business and IT services. Respondents consistently commented on Frances’ “Exceptional understanding of the market dynamics and its ecosystem players, with strong influence in engaging with C-Suite decision makers.”
“#GRATEFUL. Its humbling to be recognized for this award as analysts are constantly in the company of amazing minds. And most of all, this includes all of my teammates and colleagues. Any award of this type is tribute to the team rather than any one individual.“Frances Karamouzis / Gartner, IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2019
“A great working relationship with AR professionals is essential to get the work of an industry analyst done. Many thanks for the trust that we have built over many years.”Dan Bieler / Forrester
See also Dan’s 2016 IIAR> Around in 10 Questions interview.
“Thrilled and honored to be among the analysts recognized in the IIAR’s 2019 Analyst of the Year nominations. This is 100% down to our fantastic clients and the superb team we have at CCS Insight. Our research is laser focused on helping our clients assess key market trends, understand the implications for their businesses and above all, succeed with customers. The wonderfully close and productive partnerships we have within the AR community helps make this possible.”Nick McQuire / CCS Insight
Bindi Bhullar, Senior Director Analyst at Gartner (LinkedIn), and Phil Fersht, CEO and Chief Analyst at HfS Research (LinkedIn, @pfersht) round out the top 5 nominations for the 2019 IIAR> Analyst of the Year awards and were also recognised for their research and contributions. There were many nominations from the AR community this year, but these 5 analysts were most often called out for providing consistent value by the AR community.
The IIAR> Analyst Firm Of The Year 2019
This year’s Analyst Firm of the Year award was hotly contested. After four years in the lead with IDC and Forrester jockeying for second place on the podium, it was interesting to see Gartner moved down to third place. We’ve redone the maths several times but it was the verbatim comments which shed some light on AR professionals’ lost love for the industry research behemoth. Whilst Gartner is still recognised for its breadth of analyst coverage and overall impact, with many analysts being commended for their individual work, survey feedback indicated Gartner as an organisation has become increasingly more difficult to work with, attracting severe criticism on overall client experience from in-house analyst relation professionals.
“Well done to Forrester for coming on top this year, earning praise from analyst relations professionals for its thought leadership and agility.“Ludovic Leforestier / IIAR> Board Member
Other Analyst Nominations
IIAR> Client Partner Of The Year 2019
The IIAR> Client Partner Of The Year 2019 is David Stanley / Constellation (LinkedIn, @kiwigate), whom members said they appreciate his collaboration as he, “really looks to deliver clear business value” and is a true partner. Special mention from the IIAR> Awards Committee for the best LinkedIn banner as well…
“Congratulations to everyone who has been recognized by the IIAR community – and thanks to the AR professionals for taking the time to vote. Here’s to continued engagement between industry analysts and the community of AR professionals in 2020!“Stephanie Look / IIAR> Awards Committee
IIAR> Webinar: results from the AOTY 2019 survey
IIAR> members will be able to dial in the webinar presenting detailed results on the 13th December 0800 PST / 1100 EST / 1600 GMT / 1700 CET > register here.
Previous IIAR Analysts and Firms Of The Year
- IIAR> Best Practice Call: AR Measurement
- IIAR> Webinar: Peer Insights Updates
- [JOB POSTING] Global Industry Analyst Relations Leader / Qualtrics, remote
- [Guest Post] The New Normal for Analysts
- [JOB POSTING] Head of Global Analyst Relations / Spryker, NYC
- [JOB POSTING] Director, Analyst Relations / Oracle, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Director of Analyst Relations / Blackberry, San Ramon, California, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Director, Analyst Relations, Corporate Communications / Broadridge, NYC, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Director, Analyst Relations Job / Mimecast, Lexington, MA, USA
- IIAR> Forum: Have your say on Gartner’s Initiatives for AR pros
- IIAR> Webinar: Gartner’s Initiatives for Analyst Relations Professionals
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Senior Manager / Citrix, CA, NC or FL, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Manager / Red Hat, USA
- Omdia’s Roy Illsley steps up
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Manager / AWS, UK
- [JOB POSTING] Senior Manager Analyst Relations / Equinix, London or Amsterdam
- [JOB POSTING] Communications Manager, Workplace / Facebook (London, UK)
- IIAR> Webinar: GigaOM update with Jon Collins
- IIAR> Webinar: IDC EMEA update with Duncan Brown
- IIAR> Webinar: Forrester’s Evaluative Research Portfolio
- Duncan Brown returns to IDC (again)
- IIAR> UK Chapter Meet-Up with Omdia
- [GUEST POST] Gartner Announces pilot to handle mergers & acquisitions updates for Magic Quadrants
- IIAR> Webinar: Forrester in 2020
- [GUEST POST] The 7 Ups of Building Credibility Through Analyst Relations
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Manager / Wipro, Bangalore, India
- IIAR> Webinar – Welcome to the party, Omdia!
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Director / Rubrik, Palo Alto, CA, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Manager / Red Hat, Boston, MA
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst and Customer Relations Manager / BT, London, UK
- [JOB POSTING] Director of Analyst Relations / AtoS, Irving, TX, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Senior Analyst Relations Manager / F5, Seattle, WA, USA
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relationship Manager / Kelly Services, USA
- [GUEST POST] Influencer relations so much more than going from an A to I
- [GUEST POST] 20 mistakes analyst relations teams are making by Mark Peters / ESG (part 2)
- [GUEST POST] 20 mistakes analyst relations teams are making by Mark Peters / ESG (part 1)
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst & Influencer Relations Manager – Enterprise / Nvidia, Reading, UK
- Around Mike Feibus from FeibusTech in 10 questions
- Au revoir Mathieu
- [NEWS] 451 Research acquired by S&P
- [JOB POSTING] Analyst Relations Strategist / H&K, London, UK
- [JOB POSTING] Senior Analyst Relations Manager / Workday, USA
- Around Nick McQuire from CCS Insight in 10 questions
- A turn of the tides? The IIAR> Analyst and Firm Of The Year 2019
- [JOB POSTING] Director of Analyst Relations / Blackberry, San Ramon, California, USA
- Global Analyst Relations Associate Director/Senior Manager / EY, London, UK
- Who will be the IIAR> Analyst of the Year 2019?
- [JOB POSTING] Media and Analyst Relations Internship / HPE, Bracknell, UK
- [JOB POSTING] Director, Analyst Relations / Apttus, San Mateo, California, USA
- Gartner Symposium / ITxpo 2019: key takeaways for AR professionals