London, Wednesday 27th November 2019. At the IIAR> we believe in taking a stance and recognising greatness when we see it -an approach we find more impactful than sprinkling awards to dozens of “winners”.
Today, at the IIAR> London Christmas Party kindly sponsored by HCL, we celebrated the top industry analysts and firms of the year. The IIAR> surveyed analyst relations professionals globally and from diverse industries, predictably casting a wide net on coverage areas. The evaluation used the IIAR SOSM methodology, to reflect the best practice promoted within the IIAR> looking at not only perceived sales impact, but also strategic insights, resonance in the media and ease of doing business with.
This year, analyst relations (AR) professionals have voted and provided clear insights both on the value they see from analysts, as well as how they perceive industry analyst firms’ value to them as clients. There were some interesting shifts in the 2019 results compared to prior years…read on to learn more!
Without further ado, the Analyst Relations community has spoken and the winners are….
IIAR> New Analyst of the Year 2019
IIAR members were again asked to identify fresh talent within the analyst community. We asked you to call out your IIAR ‘New Analyst of the Year’ nominations and we are delighted to announce:
IIAR> New Analyst of the Year 2019:
Eric Schmitt / Gartner (LinkedIn), covering AdTech.
AR pros commented that Eric “got up and running really quickly and always strives to deliver best value.”
The runner ups are Mark Harris / Gartner (LinkedIn) covering security, and Erica Spinoni / IDC (LinkedIn, @SpinoniErica) covering AI, Scott Wilkinson / Cignal AI (LinkedIn, @ScottWilkinsonQ) covering Optical transport and networking, Jason Cerrato / Gartner (LinkedIn, @JasonACerrato) covering HCM, Knud Lueth / IoT Analytics covering, you’ve guessed it, IoT.
The IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2019
The overall winner of the IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2019 is Frances Karamouzis, Chief of Research and Distinguished VP Analyst / Gartner (LinkedIn, @Fran_Gartner), covering sourcing strategies for business and IT services. Respondents consistently commented on Frances’ “Exceptional understanding of the market dynamics and its ecosystem players, with strong influence in engaging with C-Suite decision makers.”
“#GRATEFUL. Its humbling to be recognized for this award as analysts are constantly in the company of amazing minds. And most of all, this includes all of my teammates and colleagues. Any award of this type is tribute to the team rather than any one individual.“Frances Karamouzis / Gartner, IIAR> Analyst Of The Year 2019
“A great working relationship with AR professionals is essential to get the work of an industry analyst done. Many thanks for the trust that we have built over many years.”Dan Bieler / Forrester
See also Dan’s 2016 IIAR> Around in 10 Questions interview.
“Thrilled and honored to be among the analysts recognized in the IIAR’s 2019 Analyst of the Year nominations. This is 100% down to our fantastic clients and the superb team we have at CCS Insight. Our research is laser focused on helping our clients assess key market trends, understand the implications for their businesses and above all, succeed with customers. The wonderfully close and productive partnerships we have within the AR community helps make this possible.”Nick McQuire / CCS Insight
Bindi Bhullar, Senior Director Analyst at Gartner (LinkedIn), and Phil Fersht, CEO and Chief Analyst at HfS Research (LinkedIn, @pfersht) round out the top 5 nominations for the 2019 IIAR> Analyst of the Year awards and were also recognised for their research and contributions. There were many nominations from the AR community this year, but these 5 analysts were most often called out for providing consistent value by the AR community.
The IIAR> Analyst Firm Of The Year 2019
This year’s Analyst Firm of the Year award was hotly contested. After four years in the lead with IDC and Forrester jockeying for second place on the podium, it was interesting to see Gartner moved down to third place. We’ve redone the maths several times but it was the verbatim comments which shed some light on AR professionals’ lost love for the industry research behemoth. Whilst Gartner is still recognised for its breadth of analyst coverage and overall impact, with many analysts being commended for their individual work, survey feedback indicated Gartner as an organisation has become increasingly more difficult to work with, attracting severe criticism on overall client experience from in-house analyst relation professionals.
“Well done to Forrester for coming on top this year, earning praise from analyst relations professionals for its thought leadership and agility.“Ludovic Leforestier / IIAR> Board Member
Other Analyst Nominations
IIAR> Client Partner Of The Year 2019
The IIAR> Client Partner Of The Year 2019 is David Stanley / Constellation (LinkedIn, @kiwigate), whom members said they appreciate his collaboration as he, “really looks to deliver clear business value” and is a true partner. Special mention from the IIAR> Awards Committee for the best LinkedIn banner as well…
“Congratulations to everyone who has been recognized by the IIAR community – and thanks to the AR professionals for taking the time to vote. Here’s to continued engagement between industry analysts and the community of AR professionals in 2020!“Stephanie Look / IIAR> Awards Committee
IIAR> Webinar: results from the AOTY 2019 survey
IIAR> members will be able to dial in the webinar presenting detailed results on the 13th December 0800 PST / 1100 EST / 1600 GMT / 1700 CET > register here.
Previous IIAR Analysts and Firms Of The Year
- IIAR> New Members Meet-up February 2022 (Global)
- IIAR> London F2F Meet-up July 2022
- Welcoming Avinash Murthy to The IIAR> UK Chapter
- IIAR> Webinar with Omdia Research
- IIAR> Monthly Meet-up June 2022
- IIAR> London F2F Meet-up May 2022
- IIAR> welcomes back UK Chapter Co-Lead
- IIAR> Best Practices Paper: running and leveraging analyst inquiries
- IIAR> Monthly Meet-up May 2022
- IIAR> Webinar: Building a Skilled AR Team during the Great Opportunity
- IIAR> What is your AR Story with Ankit Holani
- IIAR> London F2F Meet-up March 2022
- The Road to Ukraine and back – a personal report about making a difference in one family’s life
- IIAR> Monthly Meet-up March 2022
- IIAR> Monthly Virtual Meet-up February 2022
- IIAR> Best Practices Webinar: Delivering AR Programmatically with Campaigns
- Around Ben Wood from CCS Insight in 10 questions
- IIAR> Webinar: how HFS continues to disrupt the analyst industry and plans to drive the narrative in 2022 and beyond
- The IIAR> Industry Analysts and Analyst Relations of the Year Awards 2021 Unleashed!
- IIAR> Webinar with Canalys
- IIAR> Primer: Why should startups and scale-ups have an analyst relations strategy?
- Announcing the IIAR> Awards 2021!
- Join us for the 2021 IIAR> London Christmas Networking party, celebrating the Analysts & Analyst Firms and the AR Professionals & AR Agencies of the year
- IIAR> New Members Meet-up November ’21
- Around Alan Pelz-Sharpe from Deep Analysis in 10 questions
- IIAR> Discussion Group: managing inquiries
- Who will be the IIAR> Analyst and Analyst Firm of the Year 2021?
- The IIAR> AR Professionals & AR Agency of the Year 2021
- IIAR> Best Practices Paper: Running an industry analyst briefing
- IIAR> Webinar recap: What is analyst & influencer relations (AR)?
- IIAR> London Monthly Meet-up October ’21
- IIAR> Webinar: What is Analyst Relations (AR) and how is it evolving?
- Around Swapnil Bhatnagar from Avasant in 10 questions
- IIAR> Webinar with Forrester Decisions
- IIAR> Webinar with Everest Group
- IIAR> Monthly Meet-up August 2021
- IIAR> Webinar with Martin Kuppinger / Founder and Principal Analyst, KuppingerCole
- IIAR> Monthly Meet-up July 21
- IIAR> welcomes new German Chapter Co-Lead
- What does ISG research stand for?
- IIAR> Webinar on recent IDC/ Metri and Blackstone/ IDG acquisitions with IDC’s President Crawford Del Prete and CRO, Meredith Whalen
- IIAR> Webinar: Analyst Relations in Europe on the rise
- IIAR> Monthly Meet-up June 21
- Around Virginie O’Shea from Firebrand Research in 10 questions
- [GUEST POST] Teresa Cottam on the ethics of image rights
- Around Jim Lundy from Aragon Research in 10 questions
- IIAR> Webinar with Jim Lundy / Founder, CEO and Lead Analyst, Aragon Research
- The IIAR> has a fresh look…
- Crystal Golightly joins the IIAR> Board
- IIAR> Monthly meet up May 2021