Analyst relations is easily the most misunderstood function in marketing.
I’ve been involved with analyst relations — or AR — for over a decade, working on dozens of Gartner Magic Quadrants and Forrester Waves. I’ve experienced the impact that analyst relations, when done well, can have on growth. And I know how much time and effort it takes to do it right. It’s not witchcraft nor is it a simple “spend more / do better” formula.
It’s time to set the record straight, so in this post I’m going to debunk five of the most common myths I’ve come across. Well, turns out this ex-mathematician is not great at counting, so I’ll be dubunking a bonus 6th myth as well 🙂
- Myth #1: Analyst firms like Gartner are “pay to play”
- Myth #2: Your PowerPoint slides matter
- Myth #3: Gartner is the only analyst firm that matters
- Myth #4: You can move the “dot” in a Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Myth #5: Just becoming a Leader in an analyst report will double/triple/10x your growth
- Myth #6: Your PR firm can manage analyst relations
Read on! Continue Reading →