Following some debate on Quora ( How much does it cost to be included in Gartner Magic Quadrant?, do make sure you check Nancy Erskine’s answer), Lydia Leong from Gartner did publish a very useful blog post on The process of a Magic Quadrant.
Gartner’s MQ continues to be the source of much debate, mostly since it pits vendors against each others some are bound to be disappointed (a MQ with all vendors in the leaders quadrant won’t probably be of much use to IT buyers).
Gartner has overhauled the process in the last 5 years and made it quite robust now, though the weightings and ratings are still not publicised (a key difference with Forrester’s wave and IDC’s Decision matrixShort List).
No one asked for my opinions, so here they are:
- it’s better to be in than not, even if in the niche quadrant
- an MQ is better than a Marketscope (I don’t like rating vendors against a linear scale because it implies you should choose the one to the right)
- an MQ is still only 2 dimensions (hear below Gideon Gartner on this point)
- allocate enough time, about 100-120 man hours per MQ on the vendor side
- make sure you manage your constituents expectations and get their support
- IIAR members should read @edgyurko’s Best Practice Paper (link below)
Does this help? What is your experience? Do you have any tips?
- IIAR publishes Best Practice Paper on Managing the Gartner MQ
- Gartner engages in debates on their blog
- WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Gideon Gartner on the IIAR Blog!
- Wikipedia page on the MQ
13/1/11 edit: corrected the “IDC MQ” name after Vuk’s comment (below).
All previous posts on the Gartner Magic Quadrant (and more)
- [GUEST POST] IIAR Webinar: ‘Tis the season for Gartner Methodologies
- IIAR Webinar: Gartner Research Methodologies including the Magic Quadrant
- The IIAR Tragic Quadrant for 2017
- Constellation and the curse of the (not so) magic quadrant
- Do you need to pay Gartner to be in the Magic Quadrant?
- Who’s really shaping the digital future?
- The IIAR “Tragic Quadrant”
- [GUEST POST] Analysts’ Dirty Little Secrets
- Wrap-up: Netscout vs. Gartner re. Magic Quadrant positioning
- [GUEST POST] #Visionaries, #Disruptors and Complete Lunatics