Jon Collins from GigaOm (LinkedIn, @jonno) first picked up the analyst mantle in 1999, when he sent off a rather too hasty job application after a glass of wine. Since then he worked for, and with, a variety of larger and smaller firms — including picking up IIAR’s European Analyst of the Year award in 2012, a moment he sees as the pinnacle of his analyst career. Really.
More recently, alongside his analysis duties Jon has been working behind the scenes, helping a variety of vendors and other firms tell their stories, as well as helping the IIAR put together its best practice guide on “What’s an Analyst Anyway?”
In this interactive session, weaving in a variety of experiences from across his career, Jon thinks about what he might have told his younger self — the whys and wherefores, the dos, and more particularly the don’ts of being an industry analyst. He covers:
- Why it is more important to analyse, than preach – analysts are outsourced intellectual services for time-strapped decision makers
- How to deliver insight-based value without distraction – the nature of analyst business models, and the two-edged sword of influence
- When to adapt to changes in thinking and market dynamics – using research to avoid silo-ed thinking and keep up with change
- Who to engage with across the industry, in what way – recognising that you are never working alone, and getting on the post-it
- What to avoid in terms of basic ‘gotchas’ – delivering on expectations of the role, during briefings and beyond.
So, if you want to know what life is like from one analyst’s perspective, if you would like the opportunity to debate any of the above topics or you simply like good stories, please do come along:
- Date: Thursday 24th May
- Time: 16:00 pm BST
- To Register: please register with the form below and Finn will send you an invitation containing dial in and videoconferencing details.
This call is open to members of the IIAR. If you are not a member, but would like to join the call, please do let Finn know.
This webinar will be moderated by Ludovic Leforestier (@lludovic, LinkedIn) from the IIAR Board.
- Around Jon Collins from GigaOm in 10 questions
- IIAR Analyst of the year 2012 (Part 2)
- IIAR Best Practice Paper: Who are industry analysts and what do they do?
You must log in to post a comment.