While Gartner (NYSE:IT) decided to buy out AMR and fill a coverage gap in SCM, with hindsight a strategy hinted in Cannes (well maybe?). The Gartner-AMR deal certainly has caused a bit of a stir, with over 6000 hits in the blogosphere! While I’m on that news item, I must add thatGartner will hosting tomorrow a special AR Webinar on AMR Research acquisition and that in addition of the blogs I list below (read those first: Carter’s, Bob’s and Tony’s entries before) there was a very relevant comment thread started by and answered by Kate on inquiries.
Most of the respondents of our poll cited Forrester as the best “Second opinion” following this acquisition, so it’s interesting to note that while Gartner kept on its strategy to leverage its research through a deep sales coverage by investing in a key coverage area, Forrester on the other hand decided to expand its role-based research capabilities with capabilities to help IT vendors marketing more efficiently their products via buyers research, analytics, media planning, etc…
Impact for AR:
- While Forrester do have credibility and interesting offerings for marketing professionals and other roles, their product and especially industry coverage remains inconsistent.
- In particular, there have been some questions about replacing the recently departed (not litterally thank god) high-profile analysts such as Ray Wang (blog, Twitter) and Jeremiah Owyang (blog, Twitter).
- However, there are some signs that Forrester analysts may have more flexibility to resume limited coverage of industries.
- AR professionals need to clearly identify the roles analysts write for before engaging with them, as briefing a Forrester analyst does not necessarily align with their goals if they are coverage and end user impact.
Wrap-up of the posts on the Gartner-AMR deal:
- IIAR Blog: Gartner buys AMR -what’s the impact for AR Managers and competitors?
- Analyst Insight: Gartner buys AMR
- Analyst Equity: Gartner & AMR, but in the end its still organic growth vs. the Analyst Cycle
- Sage Circle: Gartner Acquiries AMR Research for $64m
- Technobabble: Gartner buys AMR
- Spend Matters: Gartner to Acquire AMR Research: Supply Chain and Procurement Analyst Game Over?
- ARcade: Gartner Buys AMR: A Tasty Post-Thanksgiving Meal
- Supply Chain Matters: AMR Research Acquired- Will This be a Void in Supply Chain Advisory Coverage?
- ITasITis: AMR clients: action needed!
- MGI Research: Gartner Acquires AMR – A Comment on IT Spending?