Peggy O’Neill / VP Analyst Relations, Informatica, (@pegoneill, LinkedIn) and former IIAR> Board Member was recognised yesterday night as the IIAR> AR Professional Of The Year 2019 and shares today some insights for the AR community.
- What’s been your career path to becoming an AR pro?
I’m a former Gartner analyst who got recruited into analyst relations by Oracle.
- What are your opinions of the IT Analyst Marketplace and where do you see it going?
Industry analysts have an important role in the tech ecosystem, they help customers, vendors, investors make sense of it all.
- What’s your typical day like?
Briefings, inquiries, and nagging my colleagues for materials to send to analysts.
- Now, c’mon, tell me an Analyst horror story (no names mentioned)?
I’m lucky to work with a good group of analysts, can’t really think of anything horrifying off the top of my head.
- How does your company structure its AR team?
By product line.
- Tell us about one good experience you have had with an analyst or analyst firm?
At Informatica World recently one of our senior executives was struggling with a demo in his keynote that wasn’t working. I had a dozen industry analysts sitting in the audience and was bracing myself for some snarky tweets as the demo failed repeatedly. It was an irresistible opportunity to poke fun and we didn’t get a single negative tweet. Analysts can be kinder than you give them credit for.
- Which analyst firm do you miss that’s been acquired or analyst that’s left the industry?
Doug Laney at Gartner.
- What’s your favorite niche analyst firm and why?
Tough to single out one, we work with a bunch of them at Informatica.
- Any hobbies or favourite restaurant / food that you’d like to share?
Italian cuisine is my favorite
- What is your biggest challenges for the upcoming 6 months? And for the next 30 mn?
Two Magic Quadrants and a Vendor Rating refresh in the next six months. Slides for an internal meeting next week.
Guest IIAR> posts by Peggy
- Why AR Managers Should Fret About Quote Policies by Peggy O’Neill
- Successful Analyst Relations Requires Grown Ups
- Ode to the Analyst Firm Salesperson and Other Key Non-Analysts
- When Your Company Takes Out Your Favorite Analyst
IIAR> Best Practice Paper by Peggy
IIAR> community involvement from Peggy
- IIAR AR Professional of the Year 2016 profile: Peggy O’Neill
- IIAR Analyst Relations Professional of the Year 2016
- The IIAR annnounces its new Board
- 10 things analysts want most
- IIAR> Webinar: Analyst Relations Professional and Analyst Relations Team of the Year 2019
- Around Peggy O’Neill, IIAR> AR Professional of the Year 2019 in 10 questions
- “Celebrate good times, come on”! Announcing the IIAR Analyst Professional and Teams of the Year 2019
- IIAR’s Analyst Relations Professional and Analyst Relations Team of the Year 2018 Webinar
- Around Amal Nichols from Cisco in 10 questions
- No penalty shoot out required: the IIAR Analyst Relations Professional of the Year 2018
- The IIAR Summer Party celebrating the IIAR AR Professional and Team of 2018
- IIAR Webinar: IIAR Analyst Relation Professionals and Teams of the Year 2017
- Around Renata Barros from Cisco in 10 questions