IDC’s Personal Computing Devices research group in Europe is looking for a Senior research analyst to support the expansion of its research and business.
This is a highly visible position that requires the candidate to develop cutting-edge qualitative and quantitative research for IDC’s exceptionally diverse base of clients that includes hardware and software vendors and providers of IT services. A successful candidate will be a subject-matter expert on personal computers (notebooks, desktops, workstations and gaming computers), and related technologies, and will have a strong knowledge of distribution and commercial channels. The focus of the role is to develop ongoing syndicated research and custom research for specific projects, as well as be a key quantitative contributor to the IDC Personal Computing Devices Tracker Program.
IDC’s PCD research helps IT Vendors and end users understand the impact of personal devices and emerging technologies on their business plans and execution. These emerging technologies include Cognitive Computing, Robotics, Mobile Systems, Advanced Security, among other leading-edge technologies. We are looking for innovative thinkers to take a dynamic role within the team, promoting and supporting industry-specific IT market research. Candidates should bring extensive knowledge especially in the analysis of the value and trends of IT investment across industry sectors and among small and medium-sized companies. The candidate will work with industry leaders to identify and analyze strategic business issues and key use cases for a wide range of technology solutions.
The role is based in London, and will involve some travel, predominantly in Europe but occasionally to other regions.
The Senior research analyst will support and deliver industry and technology research for existing syndicated products – both qualitative and data focused and as part of a global team. The analyst will also support specific consulting projects, based on IDC data and research from different groups within IDC. She/he will add to this with desk research from varied IDC sources enhancing the analysis and data: in some cases, building data models to meet client needs, or to explain or understand market behaviour and trends. Some analysis will require written descriptions, charts, or presentation material, and the analyst might be asked to present in webinars, to clients or to IDC events. The analyst is also expected to build strong relationships with vendors active in these markets, understanding key business and technology issues they face.
Successful candidates will contribute to the team’s cross-industry market research, provide support to custom engagements, respond to client enquiries, and support the sales and marketing teams. We expect the candidate to build ongoing relationships with vendors, improving the visibility and relevance of IDC’s PCD European research especially IT vendors.
This position calls for someone with a good understanding of the broader ICT ecosystem, experience in working with IT vendors and end user organisations in Western Europe and good exposure to distribution channels in the PC industry. The analyst will be involved in presenting during webinars and in answering direct enquiries on market trends. She/he has good experience in writing research, and presentation skills.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong experience and knowledge of distribution channels in the PC industry.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in the marketing intelligence team of a leading PC manufacturer, or working for a large IT distributor in Europe; or in a relevant practice at an IT market research or consulting firm.
- Analytical, enjoys working with numbers and shows a strong attitude to identify key business trends based on quantitative analysis.
- Outstanding writing skills, able to produce insightful reports based on sound survey or forecast data, providing meaningful recommendations.
- Experienced knowledge of MSOffice packages. Experience in data modelling and forecasting techniques is an advantage.
- Prior experience in survey research design, and analysis of key results is useful.
- Extensive problem-solving skills and positive attitude.
- Public speaking and good interpersonal communications skills.
- Good time management and planning skills, ability to conduct several projects in parallel.
- University BA/MS degree in Business, Economics, or Information Sciences.
- Professional fluency in written and oral business English is required, and fluency in a second European language would be advantageous.
In addition to a competitive remuneration package, this position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to thrive in the industry’s leading provider of market intelligence, delivering expert solutions to major suppliers of cutting-edge infrastructure solutions.
The selection process will take place in several phases, starting with an initial telephone-based discussion before progressing to a formal interview at IDC’s offices.
Click here to apply for this role