Avanade posted the following job on its site: Europe-United Kingdom-London European PR/AR Manager. Interestingly enough, they delve into measurements for AR (members can see our IIAR Best Practice Paper here), though personally I’m sceptical in the feasibility of that lead tracking mechanism…
Date: Sep 6, 2010
Location: Europe-United Kingdom-London
The Europe PR/AR Manager is responsible for managing the planning and execution of all public relations and analyst relations campaigns to raise awareness among business, IT and vertical trade media, including print, online and social media channels as well as the leading analyst houses in Europe. This role will support the European market development efforts and work in collaboration with corporate PR/AR to position Avanade as a thought leader and innovative IT consultancy. The position will also manage European Executive Communications, including executive speaking, bylines/op-eds and social and traditional media relations. The Europe PR position sits within the Global Communications team, and the PR/AR Manager will work in a globally integrated communications environment. To be successful, this candidate must effectively work cross-functionally with multiple disciplines to identify, generate and coordinate media and analyst interactions that provide thought leadership positioning to differentiate Avanade in the marketplace.
This roll-up-your sleeves, hands-on position will also manage European external executive communications, including executive speaking, bylines/op-eds and social and traditional media relations. The Europe PR-AR position is a member of Global Communications which sits within Corporate Marketing, and the PR/AR Manager will work in a globally integrated communications environment. To be successful, this candidate must effectively work cross-functionally with multiple disciplines to identify, generate and coordinate media and analyst interactions that create the right awareness and preference for Avanade in the marketplace.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES:
- The European PR/AR manager will partner with Avanade’s Europe PR agency and corporate PR and AR colleagues to develop and execute effective campaigns across Europe.
- In partnership with and direction from Avanade Global PR/AR, design a European PR/AR program, including objectives, strategies and tactics that align to company objectives in regions.
- A focused PR/AR plan that increases coverage and competitive positioning of Avanade among journalists and the analyst community in Avanade’s target markets.
- Leverage press coverage and analyst influence to drive positive perceptions of Avanade’s vision, strategies, solutions, and differentiation to increase brand awareness, understanding and preference for Avanade’s services and solutions.
- Role will be heavily measured on execution/results.
- Develop programs, themes and content that differentiate Avanade among press and analysts and position the company as a thought leader on topics important to Avanade’s customers.
- Manage external, corporate communications to support the company profile with business and trade media and analysts in Europe and/or support outreach in country/region as applicable.
- Lead regional PR agency teams to implement media relations program in region.
- Respond to corporate business and trade press inquiries.
- Approve country-specific messages for consistency.
- Provide communications counsel/guidance to all marketing personnel in Europe and internal customers to ensure a consistent, high standard of communication approaches and execution.
- Act as primary communications contact and liaison point with Accenture and Microsoft in Europe.
- Build close working relationship with key Accenture European PR leads.
- Ensure that PR/AR process continues to meet the requirements of both organizations.
- Leverage Accenture’s media and analyst efforts to heighten Avanade’s visibility in the marketplace by embedding the “Avanade story” within the broader Accenture efforts to build awareness in the marketplace.
- Manage Avanade participation in joint PR outreach (including Accenture and Microsoft).
- Manage other communications activities such as joint executive videos, speaking opportunities, etc.
- Manage agency resources to support PR/AR program in Europe.
- Provide budget guidelines (including industry guidelines), benchmarks and results through monthly reporting and tracking of resources to initiatives.
- Work closely with Area marketing and regional marketing to align agency resources to Area and local needs
- Set agency priorities with input/collaboration with corporate PR, Area and local marketing
- Set performance metrics and expectations
- Provide leadership/direction to local agency resources to ensure focus and strategic benefit to Avanade
- Evaluate/make recommendations for resource spend per region to align resources to Avanade Europe and region priorities
- Manage AR program in Europe in coordination with Corporate AR:
– Build relationships and clear understanding of Avanade among tier 1 analysts and evaluate communications levels with tier 2 and 3 analysts.
– Secure analysts as positive press references.
– Track research agendas of the leading analyst houses and work with agency toward inclusion in reports.
– Develop mechanism for tracking analyst referrals to their clients for Avanade.
– Take active role with Corporate AR to develop/edit presentations and staffing.
- Provide guidance and training to the European Regions, including attending monthly team calls.
- Create and own systems and share best practices with the European and global team for content development and sharing – including content developed in Europe that can be used in other markets.
- Lead in message development and positioning; requires strong understanding of IT services selling propositions
- Lead/review/edit/write as needed press material including press releases, Q&A, talking points, analyst decks, etc.
Avanade provides business technology services that connect insight, innovation and expertise in Microsoft® technologies to help customers realize results. Our services help improve performance, productivity and sales for organizations in all industries, and put power in the hands of the people who need it most: employees. Our approach can bring clarity to the most complex business and technology challenges, resulting in faster returns on investment, at lower cost and with less risk. Our focus on one technology means you receive unsurpassed expertise in the Microsoft® platform. This specialty allows us to invest in tools and methodologies that extend the value of Microsoft products and accelerate delivery of reliable solutions customized to your specific needs. Each project brings the right skills-whether onshore, offshore, nearshore or a mix-with consultants who are connected 24 hours a day across our global network to bring forward the best innovations and solutions. Our unique connections to Accenture and Microsoft provide a powerful combination of business, industry and technology insights that help you realize business success.
- Knowledge of and experience in IT services: computing and technology
- Strong analytical skills and ability to turn analysis into actionable recommendations for senior executives
- Fluent in English: both verbal and written
- Exceptional journalism or PR writing and editing skills required
- An effective communicator in email, in person and on the phone/conference calls working with global and distributed team,
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member
- Highly collaborative
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Exceptional news value judgment, well-versed in consumer technology trends and tools
- Detail oriented, effective at managing competing priorities, skilled in research, event logistics, budgeting and presentations.
- Ability to be flexible and work analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Must display professionalism (executive presence), confidence, humility, and have strong interpersonal awareness
- High energy and drive to support a fast-moving, dynamic work environment
- Understanding of sales environment
- Willingness to travel as required (circa 15% of time spent travelling)
- Ability to counsel and effectively manage demanding regional and Area executives
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, SPS & MS project. Outstanding skills in PowerPoint are required
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or software engineering, marketing, communications or related discipline with extensive public relations experience
- Agency experience highly regarded
– Europe-United Kingdom-London
– Europe-Germany-Frankfurt, Europe-Denmark-Copenhagen, Europe-Netherlands-Almere