Today, we’re delighted to welcome Michael von Uechtritz, Research Director with the Outsourcing and IT Services research team at Gartner, into the interview hotseat.
- What are your coverage areas?
Business and IT Consulting
- What are your opinions of the IT Analysis Marketplace and where do you see it going?
With some businesses being challenged by the economic downturn in a number of regions, practical advise such as from the IT Analyst community is of growing importance to the buying and selling side of the IT market. Therefore, in my view, the IT analysis marketplace will remain “large in size”, dominated by a few research firms but become more challenging for IT market analysts given the aforementioned situation.
- What’s your typical day like?
I like my work – seriously, with roughly 400+ client calls per year, 30+ research document’s, conferences and sales support, six days make it a busy week I would say, but gaining so many new insights each day – I like my work.
- Now, c’mon, tell me an AR horror story?
Well, leaving comments about an individual analyst for the presenting executive in the footnotes of a presentation, but sent to the analyst instead.
- How do you position your firm? What is your business model? (where are your revenues coming from, mix between users and vendors?)
See http://www.gartner.com and its financial reports please, the business certainly is a mixture of both, end users and provider revenue streams from research, events and consulting.
- What is your research methodology, in 255 characters or less? (primary research, F2F or phone, secondary only, etc…)
The research methods are Gartner IP and include Scenarios, Magic Quadrants, Market Scopes, Vendor Ratings, Hype Cycles, Market Statistics and others. On my part I have conducted primary research, worked with our secondary research folks, did phone interviews, in person research leveraged web based tools etc.
- Tell us about one good AR practice you’ve experienced or one good AR event you’ve atttended.
I found some IT services providers approach with small scale events (<10 analysts), short in duration (0.5 days), focused (consulting services), and targeted (European region), clearly prepared (facts send before! the event) and held in an open manner (NDA) very useful – the mix of financial analysts and market folks I found to be less productive.
- What are your offerings and key deliverables?
Read my reports published in Gartner Dataquest or Gartner Core Research. It’s what you need to know, what you need to do, where you need to look, and who you should be paying attention to. It’s independent, insightful, and instantly applicable to your business challenges.
- Any hobbies or favourite restaurant / food that you’d like to share?
My five kids Vincent, Oscar, Clemens, Cosima and Victoria are my livelong “hobby” and Friederike’s, my wife, cooking deserves a 5 Star Michelin certificate, other than this running – but not enough.
- What is your biggest challenges for the upcoming 6 months? And for the next 30 mn?
Keeping the “right” balance of work versus life in a demanding job and my career progression.
- Is there another analyst (a peer in your firm or with another firm) whose work you rate highly?
In my area of business and IT Consulting, „Chris Adams“.