RIP David Mitchell

It is with infinite sadness that I’ve heard yesterday I not only lost a dear friend but the industry is also mourning a respected thinker, an always friendly smile, a witty and smart analyst, and more. We are all poorer without David.

David, not to be confused with David Mitchell Smith who we hope is well, always liked to refer to his academic career as a lecturer in GIS at the University of Edinburgh, a good source of anecdotes on riot control. Scotland was close to his heart but he moved to London, first to apply his GIS knowledge in the commercial sector then joined Coopers & Lybrand and moved to Oracle. He started with Ovum back in 2005 where he ended up heading their IT advisory service, then did a stint at managing their utilities business. He joined Gartner 13 months ago in their go to market service and was only just promoted as MVP Software Application (HTTPS).
I’m out of There are no words to translate what he was: a respected thinker, a true gentleman.

Our thoughts go to his family and friends.

Share this...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someoneShare on Google+Pin on Pinterest

19 Responses to RIP David Mitchell

1. Caroline Dennington Friday 2nd November 2012 at 09:22 #

On behalf of the Symantec Analyst Relations team, I would like to express our sincere condolences. As you mention, David was a well respected analyst and was always happy and willing to engage. A great loss indeed.

Caroline Dennington
    Symantec Analyst Relations

2. Tony Lock Friday 2nd November 2012 at 09:49 #

I am very sad to hear this news. David was a nice guyand always ready to have a conversation laced with dry wit.

3. Clive Longbottom Friday 2nd November 2012 at 11:12 #

A great guy, a connoisseur of whisky, a great racconteur and a ready wit. Sadly missed.

4. jyarmis Friday 2nd November 2012 at 12:07 #

Shocking, terrible news. He was a great colleague and even greater friend.

5. Dominic Pannell Friday 2nd November 2012 at 12:19 #

This is very sad news indeed. Always generous with his time, David had a razor-sharp mind, which he turned to many subjects. He will be missed by many.

6. Alex Kwiatkowski Friday 2nd November 2012 at 12:34 #

Likewise, I am saddened by David’s untimely passing. Our industry is a poorer place without him, and I will miss his wry-yet-insightful observations on any given topic.

Condolences to his family and friends.

7. Rob Curran Friday 2nd November 2012 at 14:54 #

May David be at peace. May the hearts of David’s family and friends be comforted. May all beings know the end of suffering.

Namaste, David, and thank you.

8. Jonny Bentwood Friday 2nd November 2012 at 16:20 #

Shocked and saddened to hear this awful news. My thoughts are with his family and he will be remember as someone with a sharp mind, a cunning wit and a great chap all round

9. Avi Orenstein Friday 2nd November 2012 at 17:06 #

My heart goes out to David’s family. He will be missed.

10. Adrian Bowles Friday 2nd November 2012 at 20:20 #

David was a gentleman in every sense of the word, a friend who brought out the best in his friends, and a leader in our industry who inspired his colleagues like no other.

11. David Tebbutt Saturday 3rd November 2012 at 04:53 #

I didn’t know him well but he struck me as an immensely likeable man. So sorry to hear the news.

12. Henrietta Lacey-Gutsell Saturday 3rd November 2012 at 19:01 #

It is so terribly sad to hear that David is no longer with us and such a shock. He was a great analyst and always brilliant company with a sense of fun and adventure. He will be very sorely missed and my thoughts and best wishes go out to his family..

13. janeslaughter1 Sunday 4th November 2012 at 22:46 #

I echo all the sentiments here, what such sad news. what a kind and thoughtful man. Thoughts go out to all his family and friends

14. Richard Cookson Monday 5th November 2012 at 11:47 #

Really sad news, David was a joy to work with for the last 4-5 years, he will be sadly missed.

15. Maria Forss Monday 5th November 2012 at 15:39 #

It was shocking to hear these news last week. On behalf of Tieto I would like to express our deep condolences. At Tieto we have known David for several years and have really valued his insight and knowledge. He was also a much appreciated, great personality who we will miss.

Maria Forss
    Tieto Industry Analyst Relations

16. Vernon Turner Monday 5th November 2012 at 18:55 #

It is always sad to hear about the lose of a fellow industry colleague. I met David very briefly, and his warm sense of humour was the first thing that always stood out ( as well as his brilliance , of course). My wishes go out to his family.

17. Alan Rodger Tuesday 6th November 2012 at 16:41 #

Shocked by this awful news. David had so much to give, and seemed never to stint in doing so despite the pressures of his role. Time spent with him was valuable, and an enjoyable adventure of the mind. He will be greatly missed in the industry, and I feel greatly for his family, who have lost him at a relatively young age.

18. Hansa Tuesday 6th November 2012 at 22:05 #

Shocking news…David was an extremely knowledgeable analyst and will be missed! My condolences to his family.

19. Ludovic Leforestier Thursday 8th November 2012 at 15:15 #

There’s a special tribute blog here: