On September 7th, the CCgroup AR team joined IIAR’s latest webinar on Gartner methodologies with by David Black (LinkedIn), MVP Methodologies & Content Engagement at Gartner and moderated by Ludovic Leforestier (@lludovic, LinkedIn), from the IIAR Board.
David spoke about the firm’s research methodology behind reports such as Magic Quadrants and Critical Capabilities.
The AR community has always been tuned in to Gartner’s research calendars, with “Every season is Magic Quadrant season” being the mantra shared by many. As such, many AR professionals were keen to learn more from David.
Whilst emphasising Gartner’s move towards more openness, he was happy to answer more in-depth questions which have unsurprisingly focused on the Magic Quadrant and Gartner’s perception of itself amongst other firms.David also offered valuable insight on Gartner’s research validation process. Our main takeaways were:
- The Gartner Methodologies team now covers IT procurement.
- Vendors included in a Gartner MQ are at the pinnacle of their market and inclusion criteria is now heavily weighted how vendors market themselves, so the more SEO the better!
- Critical Capabilities reports offer a deep dive into a particular vertical market or technology.
- Trends for Magic Quadrants include more Peer Insights relevant for each Magic Quadrant report (currently stands at over 45,000 reviews).
- The number of vendors included in the Magic Quadrants is determined by analysts – for BI it has now gone up to 37.
- Gartner’s remit continues to expand due to constant M&A and organic growth.
- Gartner will ask for specific customer references for each type of report, as criteria will vary. E.g. the customer references shared for a Magic Quadrant will not extend to vendor-specific or Vendor Profiles reports.
- NB: Gartner’s ‘magic’ benchmark for customer references for Magic Quadrants is between 5-7. Getting requests for additional references? Query why with the analyst team.
- Gartner encourages users to raise any questions or voice concerns on the research process for different reports directly with them at [email protected].
I was pleasantly surprised by the progress made by Gartner to increase its clearness and transparency. The firm has evolved into a more approachable and open organisation which aims to help AR professionals throughout the Magic Quadrant season – and beyond.
Want to hear more?
The slides and recordings are available on Huddle for IIAR Members > 1709_Gartner_methodologies
Other posts on Gartner
- [GUEST POST] IIAR Webinar: ‘Tis the season for Gartner Methodologies 15/09/17
- IIAR Webinar: Gartner Research Methodologies including the Magic Quadrant 30/05/17
- BREAKING: Gartner gobbles brand benchmarking agency 6/03/17
- The IIAR Tragic Quadrant for 2017 24/02/17
- 2017, a tectonic year for influencer relations? 20/01/17
- Winners announced: IIAR Analyst of the Year 2016 6/12/16
- IIAR Breakfast/Cafe meet at the Gartner Symposium in Barcelona 1/11/16
- Constellation and the curse of the quadrant 14/10/16
- IIAR Discussion Group: Negotiating with Gartner 11/10/16
- Gartner acquires SCM World, what does it mean for AR Professionals? 2/07/16
- Around Annette Zimmermann in 10 questions 17/06/16
- Around Anthony Mullen from Gartner in 10 questions 27/04/16
- Do you need to pay Gartner to be in the Magic Quadrant? 11/03/16
- Who’s really shaping the digital future? 26/02/16
- Around Errol Rasit from Gartner in 10 Questions 10/02/16
- Around Julie Short from Gartner in 10 questions 7/12/15
- Winners announced: IIAR Analyst of the Year 2015 1/12/15
- Will research crowdsourcing finally move analyst firms to an experience business model? 15/07/15
- The IIAR “Tragic Quadrant” 8/06/15
- The IIAR Analyst of the Year 2014 19/12/14
- The IIAR Analyst Firm of the Year 2014 18/12/14
- IIAR Discussion – Negotiating with Gartner – 22nd Jan 15 3/12/14
- IIAR AR Café – Gartner Symposium, Barcelona – 12 Nov 2014 11/11/14
- Wrap-up: Netscout vs. Gartner re. Magic Quadrant positioning 15/08/14
- [GUEST POST] Gartner Updates: Notes from the AR regional briefing in the UK 12/08/14
- The IIAR opens its German Chapter 20/02/14
- [GUEST POST] 451 hires ex Ovum, Gartner chief to lead global research 30/01/14
- IIAR AR Café – Gartner Symposium, Barcelona – 13 Nov 2013 7/11/13
- Gartner Symposium/ITxpo 2013 – Leading in a Digital World 20/08/13
- IIAR Webinar – Gartner Magic Quadrant Enhancements 2013 17/07/13
- Examining The New Gartner Interactive Magic Quadrant 3/07/13
- IIAR Webinar with Gartner’s Nancy ‘Ombudsman’ Erskine 28/06/13
- IIAR Webinar with Gartner 7/05/13
- [GUEST POST] Crunching the analyst firm numbers – what do they tell us about Gartner, Forrester, IDC & others? 2/05/13
- Gartner’s latest April Fool’s prank- the Hype Bicycle! 2/04/13
- [GUEST POST] The Final Countdown… or how to survive attending MWC 2013 26/02/13
- IIAR London Forum on 7th March 2013 in London 25/02/13
- IIAR Christmas Networking Event concluded successfully! 17/12/12
- IIAR Analyst of the Year 2012: Winners Announced! 31/10/12
- IIAR AR Cafe – Gartner Symposium, Barcelona on 7 November 19/10/12
- IIAR AR US Cafe – Gartner Symposium, Orlando on 21 Oct 17/10/12
- Gartner completes acquisition of IDEAS International 30/08/12
- IIAR Discussion Group: Running Great Analyst Events on 16 August, 4pm BST / 11am ET 7/08/12
- [GUEST POST] Big Dogs don’t yap: the secret ingredient for MQ success 3/07/12
- IIAR Gartner exclusive: Your questions answered on great presentations 22/05/12
- [Guest Post] Does the consulting approach beat published research? 21/05/12
- The hype cycle of Vendor Briefing Requests 18/05/12
- [GUEST POST] An Insider’s Guide to Technology Analysts 3/05/12
- Gartner gets the IDEAs from Forrester 20/04/12
- Has time come for a disruptive analyst firm? 27/03/12