Nicholas McQuire has recently joined IDC as Director of Research, EMEA Enterprise Mobility, hot from BT Global Services. He accepted to answer our infamous “Around in 10 questions” interview, thanks to him!
1. What are your coverage areas?
Enterprise Mobilityin the EMEA region.
2. What are your opinions of the IT Analysis Marketplace and where do you see it going?
I see it growing in value esp as we see increase in the convergence with Telco/IT service markets. Coming across to IDC from BT Global Services recently, the one thing that struck me from my time at BTGS was the increase in value (and dependency) within the organisation on fact-based research advisory services. The once expected demise of research advisory firms due to the growth of the internet has not happened. In fact, in some cases, it has actually increased the value of research experts to help firms manage the complexity of information out there. Also, the pace of change in the industry is phenomenal nowadays so expert advice will continue to be at a premium.
3. True AR Horror Story?
Always a few from MWC or in the days gone past, 3GSM. Being invited several times to a 15 min(!) briefing on a consumer multi-media platform startup whilst being an enterprise mobility analyst is a classic. Slightly embarrassing if you ask me.
5. How do you position your firm? What is your business model? (where are your revenues coming from, mix between users and vendors?)
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets.
6. Any favourite AR professional you’d like to mention? Any why?
Relatively new to the job but i always value Vodafone’s programs and Janine’s Aitken-Young team in Europe.
7. Tell us about one good AR practice you’ve experienced or one good AR event you’ve atttended.
Cisco have long had very strong AR practices globally. They have been the forerunners in terms of understanding and investing in the value of the analyst industry and their teams are generally very good across the globe.
9. What is your biggest challenges for the upcoming 6 months? And for the next 30 mn?
Keeping up with the pace of change in this market to make valued, accurate and impactful judgements on the market for end users and suppliers.
The next 30 mins is all about handling a client request whilst taking care of my three week old son! A true multi-tasking challenge for a male!
10. Is there another analyst (a peer in your firm or with another firm) whose work you rate highly?
Yes, Chris Barnard who runs IDC’s Unified Communications research in Europe is excellent. As is Stephen Drake covering Enterprise Mobility in our US office.